Sunday, July 15, 2007

Redemption and the Beast

Over the past few weeks, I have had the privilege to be slightly involved in our community theater's production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I say slightly, because officially my role is "choreographer's assistant" which means that they really don't need me, but I wormed my way in anyway in order to watch and learn from the real choreographer. It's a nice place to be, because unlike all the cast (who are working their tails off), I get time to sit back and watch... and think.
You see, I've always liked this story, whether on screen or in the more traditional written form, and being immersed in it has got me wondering: Why? Why does this particular fairy tale touch me so much? What does it have that say, Cinderella, or the Ugly Duckling don't?
What about this:

First of all, this is a story about Redemption. Think about it... the main plot is essentially our story, the story of a fallen creature finally redeemed through the love of someone more perfect than himself. We are all the Beast.

It also has some beautiful portrayals of Sacrificial Love. No matter what version you are watching or reading, Beauty always sacrifices her freedom for her father, and in the end the Beast sacrifices his own happiness and nearly his life for Beauty.

Then in a beautiful portrayal of our own Resurrection, the Beast is suddenly released from his fallen form and steps into "Happily Ever After". And isn't that what we all long for, in the end?

No comments: