Friday, June 15, 2007

And Your Name Was....



Anyone who works with kids can tell you that adding something new to your teaching program can be an adventure. Apparently, I thought I needed more of that in my life.

So this year, I decided to add a "Dance History" segment to our Summer dance camp for kids, and at first it seemed to be working really well.

Then came the day that I introduced my class to one of the great dancers of recent times: Rudolf Nureyev.

As on other days, I gave what I thought was a quick but eloquent review of his life and contributions to dance. Then pulling out my dance history book, showed the children a picture of Nureyev soaring through the air in one of his legendary jumps.

For a gratifying moment, all was quiet as they stared in wide-eyed wonder at the page.

Then one sweet, eight-year-old ballerina in the back spoke up,

"His name was Rudolf?"

3 comments:

Esther said...

And don't be surprised if one of them asks you if he had a red nose!
Seriously, though...is it some kind of comment on our culture and cultural education that the only "Rudolf" these middle-class American children know is Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer?
hmmm....

E. Stephen Burnett said...

I believe we also have a "Rudolph" presently running for president ...

Rhiannon said...

Oh my... we do, don't we! Good thing kids can't vote. ;)
It is terribly sad that children aren't getting an education that includes this sort of thing. Part of the reason that I started including the Dance History stemmed from my frustration at finding just how many passionate young dancers in the advanced class were clueless about the subject.